Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Texture Change... Yes/ No?

Well I decided to post twice today after thinking about my hair.  I remember posting that I thought my texture had changed from when I first went natural.  With the recent big chop of my daughters hair and the transitioning of a friend's hair,  I began to think whether a person should do a big chop or transition and what the benefits and disadvantages truly are.

Big Chop (Cutting your hair down less than 3 inches)
Disadvantage - If you like length then you don't have it any more!  A person may decide to wear weaves, extension braids, lace fronts and wigs until their hair gets more length.   A person may not take care and learn their natural hair and its true potential because they are hiding it away.  A person may become even more about growth than healthy hair in their Journey.

Advantages - A person may learn their hair in the different growth stages and how to care for and style their hair in all its stages.  A person does not have to worry about taking care of the two textures and finding products and styles that work for both.  A person can still wear a weave/lace front or wigs to have length.

Transitioning
Disadvantages - A person may not be able to really know their texture without having the weight of the perm hair weighing it down.   The texture may seem to change when it really hasn't.  The breakage and the taking care of the two textures and finding products and styles that work for both.

Advantages - Can retain length (if thats what your in to) and can change your mind and retain the length if you decide to stop your natural hair journey.  You can get a glimpse of your natural hair texture in a larger quantity than a shorter length.  Experimentation.

I would say that I was part transitioner and part big chopper due to the fact that I wore my hair in mini box braids for two months before cutting my perm completely off to less than 3 inches.  My hair started off very coily and dense and grew up and out but as it started to retain length, I noticed that my strands were not as thick or dense and that my hair waved out and the root and then coiled.   As my length got longer, the wave pattern continued and my hair grew out and down and now I cannot stand my hair up like I used to without product and major manipulation or a cut.  I was able to learn my hair in its various stages and style and care for it accordingly.

I know this post may be kind of all over the place but just a thought I had and decided to post.  I really wish my daughter would embrace the opportunity to learn her hair at the shorter length and continue to progress through her length retention.

Have a great evening... I will get over this~!

No comments:

Post a Comment